Saturday, July 21, 2012

Epiphany

Creating a professional portfolio is work. A lot of work. However, doing it online makes it fun! Today I started my own professional portfolio on Weebly. (Check it out by clicking on the link!) While I do think that online portfolios are useful for adults, today's class made me realize that online portfolios can be used in the classroom as well. Many classes require students to create portfolios of their work and this process is extremely time consuming and difficult to organize for students. I remember doing a portfolio my senior year of high school. I had so many pieces of paper to include in my portfolio (the actual work and then descriptions of the work, plus a table of contents and several sheets dividing categories) and it was a pain in the butt getting them in the right order. I'm sure that I'm not the only student who felt this way. In the interest of saving some trees and some time, I motion that we move to online portfolios. Instead of printing out copies of their writing or photocopying samples of work students can display electronic copies of work. Online sites like Weebly also offer more room to be creative. Rather than simply displaying their work in a book format where the reader flips through pages, students can use different themes and can edit the layout of their work. I know that if I had the chance to make my portfolio like this I would have been much more engaged, and I'm positive that my portfolio would have been better, both in quality and appearance. Giving students creative license can definitely increase motivation.

In a history class I might consider using an online tool like Weebly for a big project. For example, if students were doing a unit on World War II I would ask them to put different aspects of their project online. I might have students create page/tab for historical writing pieces (some short and some long) and one for reactions to/reflections on class readings. Even though I would be nervous that some students might feel uncomfortable with the idea of putting their work online I think using sites like this would be different because students wouldn't be forced to share their work/thinking with their peers. Instead, I'd like it to be online so their parents could see it. We've been talking a lot about the positive effects of parental involvement on student achievement. Unfortunately, we know that it decreases as students get older. Maybe using something like this in my classroom would promote parental involvement and increase communication between myself and my students' parents. When I was in school I didn't really want to go out of my way to talk to my parents about school, but if they knew what I was doing in a class and showed a genuine interest I probably would've been more inclined to involve them. Online portfolios and displays of student work could be effective tools in starting conversation between students and parents and increase motivation. How awesome is that? 

There are so many things that we could do with sites like this. Even though I was a bit skeptical before, I'm really starting to think that there are ways to bring technology into the classroom that will be meaningful in my discipline. Now I'm feeling excited about the technology's potential. I think I've really started to see the benefits of using technology in my classroom. I've had an epiphany: when it comes to technology, the possibilities are, in fact, endless!

7 comments:

  1. You really capture the spirit and letter of David Niguidula's article quite nicely and I admire your optimism and will seek to emulate it. Part of the optimism I share with you stems from the relative success of this blog. Maybe because I am an inveterate nerd, but I like the fact that the students in the cohort are posting reflections and some serious work here and getting serious responses. The format really promotes thoughtful and worthwhile ongoing discussion. It would not be very feasible without the technology. I agree that the possibilities at least seem endless, but I am also thinking it would be useful for us to brainstorm on other ways to use technology. Brainstorming itself, for example, might be done with a chatroom in the classroom so that even the introverts contribute and a massive list of ideas is assembled in seconds. Something like that might serve as a useful complement to the more ponderous blog system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of the online portfolio for both my students and myself. You, as a teacher will be involved with these students for a year and I think having information out there for them, and their parents, to see could move the process of getting to know each other, along a bit faster...I think school can be scary for a lot of students and every bit helps when putting them at ease.

    I really liked the idea of a portfolio about a subject or era. You spoke of WWII and I think that is a splendid idea. Having the ability to check and see progress is always a good idea, but imagine where their imagination can take them. It is as if the computer is their canvas and we get to see where it takes them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you gave a thoughtful plan about how you could actually use this online portfolio tool. I think it is a great idea to use Weebly like that. Also it is awesome that you had this epiphany. It is interesting how in only a few classes, some of us are starting to come around to this whole technology in the classroom thing. And you point about using less paper is valid, but I wonder how much time it would actually save. With so many options in themes I can imagine some students spending more time on aesthetics and less time on content. Maybe that is my cynicism though, and either way, I think your epiphany is great and you will find ways to keep your students on track and content focused!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice portfolio! Unfortunately I missed class Friday due to a conference. I might come find you for a 5-minute "how-to."

    I am/was a professional tournament fisherman and had my own website. If you boil it all down, essentially what we are doing is marketing. We are marketing ourselves to prospective principals that may hire us. If we get hired, we are marketing our classrooms to parents and prospective students.

    In one of our previous readings we discussed how isolated the classroom often has been. These kinds of technology allow us to show the world what is going on in our classroom. Naturally this has both good sides and bad sides....hopefully we are clever enough to weight the good side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed this reflection and its connections to your own experiences and aspirations. Thanks! KF

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of having students create an online portfolio of a project. This could be a great way for students to share their work and reflections during a semester-long science immersion experience like the one my team designed for the soda ban lessons. And I am particularly fond of your suggestion to share this link with parents as a way to keep them updated and involved with their students' ongoing projects. How insightful of you! This is something I could see myself doing in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyssa, I'll just add that it seems a propos that Preston would choose this posting and discussion to note that the quality of the discourse on the blogs has been high, showing a lot of thought. You had some clever ideas about how you might use a portfolio tool in the classroom, and it's intriguing to think about its potential value in connecting with parents. Your intuition about this is spot on, Alyssa, and thoughtful communication with parents can reap lots of benefits at multiple levels, including the one that Ryan cites about combatting the isolation that teachers sometimes feel.

    ReplyDelete